blog

Uninsured and Underinsured Motorist Accidents

Florida’s “no fault” insurance status means that you have to file a claim with your own insurance carrier first for compensation for your injuries and any other damages. Florida’s required Personal Injury Protection (PIP) Insurance only covers 80% of your injuries, and when you need to recover the other 20%, you will have to file a claim with the negligent driver’s bodily injury coverage. Unfortunately, if that person carries no bodily injury insurance or an insufficient amount of said insurance and cannot cover the costs of your injuries, you may have to look to your own uninsured or underinsured motorist coverage. An experienced attorney can help you navigate these situations to determine how and where to get the money you need to cover the costs of your injuries, especially if you do not have uninsured or underinsured motorist coverage.

What is Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist Coverage?

Uninsured motorist coverage refers to coverage for injuries that you or others riding in your vehicle may incur when you are involved in an accident with a motorist who has no insurance. Underinsured motorist coverage is coverage for when the negligent driver has bodily injury coverage, but not enough to fully compensate for your injuries or for the injuries of those in the vehicle with you. Because PIP insurance only covers 80% of your medical bills, the other 20% is left to you or the negligent driver. Depending on how serious your injuries are, 20% can be a lot of money that you may be unable or unwilling to pay.

In the event that the negligent party does have adequate bodily injury insurance coverage, you will be able to recover for a wide range of injuries, including physical damages, financial damages, and even other damages like pain and suffering (consult an experienced attorney to determine what damages you are entitled to). However, if they do not have adequate insurance, you have no redress for your injuries from the negligent driver’s insurance policy.

Should You Purchase UM/UIM Coverage?

Experts say yes. According to the Insurance Research Council, there are 3.2 million uninsured drivers on the roads in Florida, the second highest rate of uninsured drivers in the country. You never know if the person who caused your accident is adequately insured, and it is best to empower yourself by paying to keep yourself covered, instead of relying on other drivers to have adequate coverage for your injuries.

Lastly, there is no one better than you to decide how much security you should receive in case you are injured in an accident. Knowing how financially devastating wage loss or hospital bills can be, you are in the best position to determine how much coverage is enough, just in case someone else did not get it right.

Automobile accidents can be stressful, and insurance claims can be complicated. If you are healing from an accident with a negligent driver, call Cameron Law for professional help from an experienced and highly skilled attorney. We can help you get what you are owed to help eliminate or greatly decrease the financial stress an automobile accident can cause.